Monday, March 31, 2014

A Little Refresher

Unbelievable: Common Core Problem Asks Kids to Choose Two Amendments to Remove From Bill of Rights

A mother in Arkansas has expressed concern over her daughter’s recent Common Core school assignment that asked her to remove and replace two of the first ten amendments of the Constitution. The team assignment stated that the Bill of Rights is “outdated and may not remain in its current form any longer.” Here is a copy of the assignment:

[snip]

The mother who spoke up said she was particularly troubled by the fact that her daughter’s Sixth Grade History class had received no prior training in civics or how to amend the Constitution, which may lead those children to incorrectly believe that it can be changed by a “special committee” as suggested by the assignment.

“After she brought it home and explained her assignment to me, it made me question exactly what she was being taught. Where I can see a class using critical thinking skills to modernize the words, as to help them better understand the Amendments, giving an assignment to remove two then add two with little explanation as to why is upsetting,” she said.


Which reminds me, I came in next to last with my b-ball bracket. The way Mr. Big Food scores, it's possible to know who doesn't have a chance of winning by this round. The fact that I was nostalgic for the good crappy old days-- I had UNC vs. Duke-- didn't bode well for me in the current climate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.