Sunday, December 18, 2011

Fredericksburg, Texas USA

Felix Reinbach

As I begin to compose this post, there are fewer than 14 hours until we will depart The BIG Sovereign State of Texas and make our way back to The Farm in rural Mississippi.

It's been a delightful trip. To channel some old Steve Martin from an old SNL, if I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be that all people had families and families in-law as engaging, giving, opinionated, and wonderful as mine. Corny but true.

Today Mr. Big Food's Family and we traveled to Fredericksburg, in the Texas Hill Country. We found a place to park-- a non-trival matter-- and had a nice lunch of German fare. We then did some window shopping, and took in a show. 

By the way, I have a new camera! Below the fold (i.e., click on "keep reading) and you will find some photos-- some with commentary-- of Fredericksburg, Texas.

[I'll post the color commentary of last night's dinner at Mr. Big Food's Cousin's Wine|Beer|Cigar Bistro when I'm back on The Farm.]


Planters are everywhere
Fredericksburg is another funkie town-- albeit in Texas-- that caters to ... well ...


folks who think there's something beyond a Texas Vineyard. What would that be?
Camo. There was a whole family of them. I looked at their jackets and I think they were advertising their business. Nothing wrong with that.
It's a town filled with shops full of wonderful things that remind us of the crappy olden days when all it took to thrill a kid was a quarter.

Old Paint
Old Paint's Cousin
I loved the backyard of the shop that sold granite stuff. Slab after slab...



Imagine this as a kitchen counter top. That's all I'll be doing. It's expensive!
There are so many shops! 
It just goes on & on.
When Mr. Big Food's Dad brought this to my attention, I thought about getting it for Daughter C. But $18?!? Are you kidding me? And I don't think it's really "handmade." Zoom in on the "T's" and you'll see what I mean. I sent her the photo. After all, it's the thought that counts!
Fortunately, Main Street in beautiful downtown Fredericksburg is filled with many spaces for "shoppers" to take a load off.

Quite possibly the smartest bench in Fredericksburg, ever. 

Mr. Big Food's Dad had gotten the last six matinee tickets to Christmas at Rock Box Theater

Intermission
What fun!And what an amazing cast of characters!

"Z.Z. Top," a Texas band
"Bette"
In announcing intermission, one of the cast members asked veterans, first responders, reservists, and their family members to pick up a candle on their way back into the theater. The show closed with a tribute to all who serve.

I don't think there was a person who didn't have a candle.
God Bless The Sovereign State of Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.