Thursday, December 29, 2011

Recipe: suek's Chocolate Chip Pudding

Commenting on the bread dumplings-- which were delicious-- suek shares the following (which I've edited for ease of reading, and one typo*):
In our house, stale bread = Chocolate chip pudding!

Grease a baking dish. Fill with cubed/broken dried bread (including crusts). Then you need a bit of guess work...quantity of milk is determined by quantity of bread, so it's a bit of by guess and by golly...but using one cup of milk plus one egg (beaten into the milk), plus 2 Tbsp of sugar and I guess about 1/2 tsp vanilla, pour over the bread. The liquid should come up at least half way up on the bread. Repeat the milk combo till it does. After the first couple of times, you know the size of the baking dish, and how many cups of milk you need - then it's an easy one step thing.
When the liquid is in, pour chocolate chips on top and mix in. How many? That's sort of up to you and availability. the pan I used needed a quart of milk, and I used a 12 oz bag of chips. Obviously, this is very adjustable. Mix the chips in, let it set an hour or more for the bread to absorb the liquid. Bake at 350* for about an hour - again, size of pan and depth will determine time, but you do the standard test with a knife to see if the middle is done. It should come out clean. (well, maybe chocolate on the knife, but no custard) It takes a while to cool for some reason. Can be served plain, with cream or with ice cream. Good cold, but better warm.
Serve with cream. That's my kind of pudding! 
~~
I've always heard "by guess and by golly." If there are regional alternatives, pardon that particular edit.

5 comments:

  1. "By guess and by golly/gorey"...

    Thinking about it, I think I've heard both. My Mom was born in Boston, and I suspect the "by gorey" was a result of the Irish influence. Maybe.

    Going back to the grammar thing...

    I've been bothered lately by the phrase "well-paying", referring to jobs, obviously. I finally figured out the grammatical error - it shouldn't have taken so long, but our discussion on the diagramming inspired me to actually think about it, I guess. The thing is, we want a "well paid" job, or we want a "good paying" job - but "well paying"? The problem is the "paid" is a verb, requiring a modifying adverb - so "well" is used. "Paying" is a gerundive, which is treated like a noun, so an adjective is used for the modifier - hence "good".

    Another one of those little irritating grammatical thingies I hear on radio and TV all the time - being used by people who _should_ know better. Another one is "less" when "fewer than" is correct, and yesterday, hearing someone use "other person and I" when "other person and me" would be been correct. People still seem unable to understand the difference between the subjective and objective cases.

    Well. I shouldn't be so critical. I didn't understand English grammar until I took Latin - and nobody takes Latin anymore, so what can you expect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It takes a while to cool for some reason."

    Maybe because you want to eat it as soon as it comes out of the oven, and it seems to take for_ever_ to cool enough so that you can put it into your mouth without burning yourself!

    Perceived time may have the effect of distorting real time, in other words...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard "gorey" in this context.

    You will love this:

    A panda walked into a cafe. He ordered a sandwich, ate it, then pulled out a gun and shot the waiter. 'Why?' groaned the injured man. The panda shrugged, tossed him a badly punctuated wildlife manual and walked out. And sure enough, when the waiter consulted the book, he found an explanation. 'Panda,' ran the entry for his assailant. 'Large black and white mammal native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

    From Eats, shoots, and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

    At Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Tolerance-Punctuation/dp/1592400876/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325275355&sr=1-1

    AND BY THE WAY, I took five years of Latin in high school and another one in college. And you are correct about how helpful it is understanding grammar.

    Remember Ablative Absolutes? As I recall, one figured quite prominently into the Heller 2nd Amendment decision. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait. I mis-spoke. I took 1 year in jr. high and 3.5 in high school. Plus the year in college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had more than I did. I took 3 years in high school. Took a year of Greek in college. Other than that, at our school, we were supposed to take French. I started French 3 times - a year in Junior High, a year in high school, and started a semester in college. I switched to German in high school, and dropped the French in college after finding no more sense to it in college than I did in high school. The German worked for me - which was a good thing, as we ended up spending a total of 7 years in Germany while my husband was in the military. I got pretty good - they knew I wasn't native German, but maybe Dutch?? Or maybe left Germany when I was young and then returned as an adult??
    Sadly, the skills leave you without use. So some 30 years later, my German isn't especially good.

    Here in Southern California, being bilingual is almost a requirement - but they don't have German/English in mind! - but in fact they don't usually specify either. I've been tempted...!

    I don't remember Ablative Absolutes. I'll have to see what shows up on the web. You never know where such searches will lead you!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.