Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Food Shopper's Creed

From Meta Given's The Modern Family Cookbook, copyright 1942, 1953, 1958, published by J. G. Ferguson Publishing Company, Chicago
So you don't need to click to enlarge...

The Food Shopper's Creed

The health of my family is in my care, therefore--
I will base my market list on meals planned according to the "DIET PATTERN" p. 4

I will choose foods of quality and in quantities that will provide the nutritive elements planned for.
Stretching the food dollar is part of my responsibility, therefore--
I will take advantage of what the seasonal markets offer in variety, quality, and price, to the end that I may exchange my dollar for maximum values.
My family's enjoyment of food is my responsibility, therefore--
I will use the possibilities of the market to provide variety, excellent quality and novelty within the limits of my food budget.
Purchasing food is an important link in the business of feeding my family, therefore--
I will make every effort to weight possibilities offered by various markets, by various foods, and the forms in which they are offered from season to season, to the end that I may take pride in a job well done.


~~
In my life, I have exchanged many a United States Dollar (or the equivalent thereof) for ramen noodles and frozen pizzas. I have fed ramen noodles and frozen pizza to my family. I am not proud of this, but I cannot take back these actions. We do what we do to make ends meet-- and there's no shame in that, provided we don't engage in transgressions. 

What I like about The Modern Family Cookbook, first published in 1942, is the attitude. I like the talk about responsibility and pride. And enjoyment of food.

That's Big.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.