Saturday, December 3, 2011

Garden & Gun

Garden & Gun is a very pretty glossy magazine which doesn't devote nearly enough pages to gardens or guns but does present the Rural South positively. It's better than Southern Living, which was once good and is now just... .

I love this magazine. My wonderful mother-in-law saw an issue at her hairdressers in Georgetown and bought me a subscription. My mother in Greensboro collects back issues and saves them for me. They know me well. I love this magazine.

The November-December issue features a fellow, Mike Stewart, who raises and trains huntin' dogs-- he's now branched out into training dogs who can detect low blood sugar in diabetics.
“I’m a retired cop,” Stewart says, as he walks me toward a line of kennels on the property. “Seven years with the Oxford, Mississippi, police department, then eighteen as chief of police at Ole Miss. But I’ve been piddling around training dogs as long as I can remember. I’ve always loved dogs—and training them. I trained my first Lab, Pepper, in 1972. Sold her in 1973. Great dog.”

Good Lord! Those folks up in Oxford are awful smart, aren't they? "Piddling" around with raising dogs that he sells for $10,000 or more.

He sounds like a regular guy, though. Read the whole thing. 

~~
Mr. Big Food noted the other day that no one from around here refers to TSUN as "The University of Mississippi." No one. It's Ole Miss, thank you very much.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I think Mike and I are going to get CCW permits! I've been thinking about learning to hunt, too. We'll all have to go shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Shoot me an email or something and I can give you our recommendation for where to take the CCW class.

    As to "we'll all have to go"-- yes we will. Just as soon as y'all come to visit the Farm, we can walk out the back door and down to our shooting range! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.