Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Soverign State of Texas

is where we are headed. I don't think I've mentioned before that Mr. Big Food is a Texan. My in-laws anointed me an Honorary Texan. These tidbits explain our appreciation of Big Stuff.

Blogging will be sporadic, as we are driving.* The trip is not too long, just over nine hours driving time; I'm sure we'll have some radio and reading.** But the problem is, once I hit the Texas border, I'm inclined to think we're almost there. I think this every time. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

Texas is BIG.

Take me back to (old) Texas
I highly recommend driving across The United States of America, in whole or in parts. Either way, be sure to pass through The Big Sovereign State of Texas. Do this before it's too late.

~~ 
And for all you new gun owners and new holders of concealed carry permits who travel, bookmark the Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps at USACARRY dot com. 

DISCLAIMER:  Know the law of the state you are in. In which you are. 

* (flying) & **(reading) below the fold

*I refuse to fly. I refuse to subject myself to what's involved with making my way through an airport and boarding an aeroplane. I just refuse. There was a time in my life when I loved boarding an aeroplane and taking off. It was thrilling, knowing I'd be some place new, with Mr. Big Food, when the plane landed. Those days are gone, at least for now. 

Now we a just two people who own a farm are making payments on a Farm in Mississippi. 

Now we a just two people who have a lake on the piece of property we and our lender own. 

In just a few years, I'll really be able to use only first person pronouns to refer to this piece of property and the stuff on it. 


For example,

Ha. I have fish in my lake and you don't even have a lake. That's lame. You don't have a lake.

**Mr. Kant sent 50 pages on something he & I talked about. Gotta love those Kantians.

4 comments:

  1. I have a son with family in Texas, and a daughter who is soon to make me Grandma again in Oklahoma. Sensing a trend here.

    Texas is a _BIG_ state. I have driven across it. Whatever climate and topography you desire, you can probably find it, although not necessarily both at the same time.

    I have a feeling that we may end up living there at some point - but not sure when. I really don't want to move again ... it would be so much easier to die in this house and let the kids do the disposing/cleaning. That way, they could take or pitch at will, my preferences having become irrelevant. Somehow, I don't think it's going to happen that way. I suspect I'm going to have to choose and dispose, and the kids are just going to have to either get over their guilt of "I want _that_" or lose it. I have a lot of old family stuff, but now it's _my_ family stuff - I'm not at all sure my kids feel it's _their_ family stuff. Especially since I have 4 boys - all but one with spouses who have their own definite ideas about possessions and decor. The one not married has no possession consciousness - except for his cars. Daughter has no interest in old furniture.

    I'll be driving out to TX - a bit south of where you're headed - about the middle of January. I'll stay with son for a week or two, then head up to daughter's for a couple of weeks after the baby is born. Her expected due date is Jan 21, but my mother carried long, and so did I. And in dairy cattle, at least, it's an hereditary characteristic - so I'm expecting hers to come along about the 7th of Feb. Unless they induce labor.

    Who knows...!

    Drive safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Drive safely." LOL you sound like me!

    Didn't you want 200 acres so each of your youngins would get 40?

    I get what you are saying. I have the same worries about the girls and the farm. I've threatened to haunt them if they sell if after we die. We worked very hard to get it, after all. And then I remember that I didn't give a rat's ass about gardening, or button boxes when I was in my 20s. Maybe there's hope.

    I'd say more, and ask more, but to be honest, I'm tired. We are here, but it was a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>Didn't you want 200 acres so each of your youngins would get 40?>>

    And a mule. Don't forget the mule - at the rate things are going, the mule might be worth more than the 200 acres...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a pony. I hear tell they are sweet and playful.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.