Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Country Mouse Explores an Over-grown Pasture

My task was to inspect the perimeter fence.
I'm happy to report that it is intact. 



This fenced-in over-grown pasture is adjacent to the Pond Pasture, as you'll see. It's a quite large area that we've purposefully let go. It's quite pretty, too.

This tree line separates this pasture from the Hidden pasture. There's a seasonal creek at the tree line. The Cotton Field is beyond.

I've thought this area would make a great campground,
because it's not far from the pond.
Let me orient you. I've taken a lot of photos from the upper left hand side (in this photo) of the pond, looking to where I was standing here. The tree line on the left usually appears in photos as the horizontal background. The Big Tree that's reflected is the diseased gum tree the dogs like to explore. 


Here, I've walked the tree-lined bank (above), and am directly across the Pond from where Rocky, Missy, and I usually are.
Part of the motivation for exploring this Over-grown Pasture was this. Rocky & Missy have out-grown the Pond Pasture. They own five acres of Pond Pasture-- and they love it! Their little brains have maps of every square inch. But even with the increased water level, they are coming to learn that there's more to Life than the Pond Pasture. 

Missy and Rocky both breached the perimeter late in the summer when they could walk across the Puddle Formerly Known as the Pond. They responded to our calls and came back without incident.  The last few days, they've been on the scent. It took some coaxing to get Missy back into the pond and over to the right side of the bank today.

So. Rather than make the Over-Grown Pasture verboten, I thought the dogs might get a kick out of having a new playground. 

Which brings me to this:


A very interesting goat skull.


I came across two articles today that tried to nail down the differences between 1) City Mice and Country Mice and 2) Southerners vs. Non-Southerners. One was at Garden & Gun, the other at "Natural News." (I'm without a clue. I just read the article.) From my perspective, both got some things right, and some things wrong.

That said, of all the people who read these two articles, I bet I'm the only one who contemplated foreman and sutures today.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.