Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"National Parks and American Values: A Field Guide"

The National Park Service is nearing its centennial! Look forward between now and 2016 to a massive advertising campaign targeting young Americans-- seems the kids from the cities just aren't going to our National Parks in droves as they once did. If that trend continues, it would spell disaster for Retailers of Gear. Remember the ads with the talking baby giving investment advise? That's from the same Madison Avenue Advertising Firm that the National Parks Service contracted to get those kids to our parks and learn a little American History and perk up sales at R.E.I.*

~~
I don't think that was supposed to be the take-away message from Director Jonathan Jarvis' public talk at State this evening, but that's some of what I heard. 

It was a well-attended presentation. And in all seriousness, it did focus on American Values. One small quibble-- I don't think the sense of "happiness" in the good Ol' Declaration had as much to do with "fun" as Jarvis does. But he got Freedom & Liberty right! And he loves him some history!

The discussion was good. He struck me as extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of his agency, which is, you know, something a good executive officer should be. I suspect he comes by it naturally, having climbed the Ranger ladder.  And he with only a lowly Bachelors Degree. (To be fair, he has an "honorary" Ph.D. from his alma mater.)

My Libertarian Brain is still thinking about what I think about a National Parks Service. 

I do know that if you have a chance to drive the Natchez Trace Parkway, you should. 


It's a lovely drive. No commercial vehicles. I hear our weekend guest will be arriving via the Natchez Trace!
My ignorance shows below the fold.

 * One other thing he got right was Honesty as an American Value. So to be honest, I had no idea what R.E.I. was until yesterday when I was chatting with Kat. We were talking about all of the rain and the puddles and getting splashed (she's a small-city city mouse) and I suggested she buy some plastic pants. She said she should order some from R.E.I. I told her I got mine at K-Mart in the Fishing Department. Next thing you know we were talking about Jeff Foxworthy. You might be a redneck... .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.