Thursday, January 10, 2013

BCC: Anonymous@nobodyknowsyourname.com

Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes the source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.
Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1949

[From The Story of America, Carroll C. Calkins, ed., 1975, The Reader's Digest Association, p501]

Although I endeavor to preserve as much of American history and culture as I can afford, this is not a crappy semi-old book that I would have spent good money on. Don't get me wrong-- it's worth having if for no other reason than to examine differences in the presentation of American history compared to crappier, older books. (Oh! And now I have one more copy of the Declaration of Independence.)


When in doubt, check it out!
But as I did not spend one red cent on it, I'm glad it's now in my library.
~~

I received a multiply-forwarded email the other day. I'll not dwell on the content other than to say it was intended to alert recipients to some government-sponsored shenanigans. (Please refer to Amendment I of the Constitution of the United States of America. It's okay to do this.)

The multiply-forwarded email ended with two items. The first, a quote from Franklin:
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" --Benjamin Franklin
[My newest crappy semi-old book has it as
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" 
as does The Founders' Almanac.]

This was followed by a reminder to "Be Kind to Your Email Friends":


"... a country where everyone lives in fear." 

Respecting folks' privacy is admirable. But something about asking people to live as if we should all be living in fear just don't seem right to me. Does it to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.