Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Is This True?

Origanum heracleoticum
Is True Greek Oregano better for use in cooking than Common Oregano, Origanum vulgare? You tell me!

Okay. If you've never had True Greek Oregano, you'll not be able to tell me. So permit me this opportunity to tell you. It is true.

O. heracleoticum is more aromatic and peppery than the common-- vulgare-- sort. It holds its flavor through cooking processes. (It's crazy good fresh on homemade pizza.) Home-dried is far superior to store-bought, which is a mix of common and Mexican oregano.

Now, if you don't want to take my word for it, here's a paraphrase of what one of last Saturday's guests said when he tasted a few leaves, "Wow. I've never tasted oregano this punchy. There's so much more to it than the oregano I'm used to." By the way, he left with a pile of fresh and some I ripped out so he can start a pot of True Greek.

I'm getting ready to cut this mess of True Greek back and dry it in the dehydrator. I'll probably do this three or four times over the growing season. (Dried True Greek Oregano: Christmas presents!)

Oregano is a perennial. Here in Mississippi we can pick fresh all year long, although it does die back considerably in the winter. But it comes on strong in the spring!

I got my seed from Botanical Interests. It did take a season to become well established. 

Thus concludes our herb interlude. Back to planting. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.