Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chicken Enchilladas II / Mac & Cheese

Substitute grilled turkey legs and wings for chicken
Mr. Big Food was a bit under the weather this past weekend but he still managed to grill some turkey leg quarters and wings. At the time, however, neither of us were too keen on enjoying them. So the grilled turkey parts were just sitting in the fridge, waiting patiently to become the main ingredient in Chicken Enchiladas II. 

The green stuff is spinach. 

I just asked Mr. Big Food how many chicken enchilada recipes there were in the Big Food Manual, and he said, "I'm not sure, probably six or seven."

The turkey was the last thing Mr. Big Food cooked this past weekend (Friday evening) before he succumbed to the weather. I cooked on Saturday & Sunday. For my purposes, "cooked" includes fixing sandwiches. For Sunday Supper, we had mac & cheese. It appealed to Mr. Big Food.


Oh. My. God. 




Macaroni & cheese, and variations, is something that everyone in the Western Universe should know how to make from scratch. It ain't that hard. But it's been so long since I've made mac & cheese that I wanted to be sure that the proportions I was remembering for the cheese sauce were more or less correct. (Mac & Cheese isn't an exact science; the cheese sauce is a roux with cheese.) 


So I opened up Mr. Big Food's computer and clickidy clackidy made my way to the folder that contains the recipes for Mac & Cheese. Oh. My. God. There must be a dozen unique recipes for Mac & Cheese.


It's a good thing that I've come to understand how Mr. Big Food's Brian works, or I would have been lost. The files are in alphabetical order. "Backed Macaroni and Cheese" is baked macaroni and cheese. ... I did finally find the recipe I was looking for-- the one that confirmed the proportions of butter, flour, milk-- the roux. 

And then you just add cheese. 



It ain't all that hard.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.