Friday, March 2, 2012

The Fall/Winter Soup Contest is History.

The final entrant in the Fall/Winter Soup Contest was this evening: Rutabaga Soup. 

Having done everything but season it, my expectations were very low. It surpassed my expectations-- Mr. Big Food is a Master of Seasoning, I think it's one of his life-long experiments. But it still doesn't rank very high on my Lickert Scale of Fall/Winter Soup Contest soups. 

I admit that it was seasoned perfectly. The curry was a nice touch. But it was too thin for a Fall/Winter Soup.


That post is titled, "The Things We Do For Love." 

Here's the recipe for Rutabaga Soup. 

Take some veggie and chicken stock. Boil it. Peel and chunk about a pound of rutabagas. Put them in the boiling stock and simmer them until they are ready to mash. Mash them in the stock. Add seasoning.

Interestingly, one of the rutabagas was thinking seriously about sprouting. And come to think about it, there were some interesting blemishes on the others. I wonder... . After all is said, rutabagas are roots. Roots have amazing properties.

We gave Mike some rutabagas. 



Mike has a lot of energy [but note how still his left hand is. I wonder what Andy makes of this.]
That's one of the reasons we like him. It's not the only reason, but it's one. One of the others is that he likes root vegetables, and we are over-supplied with rutabagas. 

I would sooner let the rutabagas that we don't eat before the next crop of rutabagas comes in sprout and go to seed before I'd give them to someone who would throw them away as if they were garbage.

If I can find the link, I've written on this before.

I have no worries giving Mike rutabagas. Just on the ride home from Memphis, Mike proclaimed he liked soups and stews made with root vegetables.

BIG LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.