Wednesday, March 13, 2013

An "Elegant" Wednesday Supper

depicted by decidedly non-elegant photos.

Consume Rice

Chicken with Roquefort Cheese
I asked what the name of the chicken dish was and Mr. Big Food replied and said, "Hold on! I have the recipes in my head right here."

I said, "Go."

But before we get to the recipes, I'd like to comment on "elegance."

This definition misses the point:
el·e·gant  [el-i-guhnt]  Show IPA
adjective
1.
tastefully fine or luxurious in dress, style, design, etc.: elegant furnishings.
2.
gracefully refined and dignified, as in tastes, habits, or literary style: an elegant young gentleman; an elegant prosodist.
3.
graceful in form or movement: an elegant wave of the hand.
4.
appropriate to refined taste: a man devoted to elegant pursuits.
5.
excellent; fine; superior: an absolutely elegant wine.
Where is the reference to an "elegant" proof? An "elegant" mechanism?

My understanding of the word does not juxtapose "fine" and "luxurious."

Go figure. I was wrong.



As it turns out,

in the World According to Noah


I was wrong. There's no mention of simplicity in the definition of elegance.

Dang.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.