Tuesday, March 5, 2013

There Will Be No More Playing with Snakes! [Do not read if you don't like snakes]

The dogs and I went for a second walk in the overgrown pasture late this afternoon. This morning it was warm but it started to rain and we had to cut our outing short. I thought it best to take them out again-- especially since it's a busy evening here at the Farm. It was however, considerably colder than this morning. As we were slowing making our way to the gate, something captured Missy's attention and Rocky rushed to investigate. Rocky's startled response indicated to me that I should go investigate as well.

We high-tailed it back to the house and I came back with my camera
which fortunately has a really good zoom!
And yes. That is an adult copperhead. It was about 4' long.

I have no idea whether it was alive or dead or something in between. 

Mr. Big Food has commanded the dogs to not play with snakes. 

3 comments:

  1. I have nothing against snakes. In fact, I'm in charge of feeding the family's pet snake. That said, those pictures make me wanna hurl; that's so scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually hope it's still there tomorrow. That would suggest it's dead. But I'll take the 12 gauge just to make sure.

      Delete
    2. Well, be careful. I have personal experience with snakes playing dead (I picked it up, swung it around, showed my parents, put it down, and it slithered off).

      Delete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.