Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pie: Pt. 2 [Vegan update]

The pies, about to go in the oven

Pumpkin custard pie (L); Perfect pumpkin pie (R)

The pies, fresh from the oven

Perfect pumpkin pie (L); Pumpkin custard pie (R)

There will be a "Pie: Pt. 3" post after the sweet whipped cream is whipped, and we decide which pie we like better. "Why is everything a competition?" you may be asking. Because competitions are "critical reviews," says Mr. Big Food.

~~
Miss M. called this morning to tell me she has a new-found respect for me. And she also understands why there was so much cussin' and swearing coming from the kitchen when I was making pie crust. She started cussin' after the first five seconds with her crust. The one I made for these pies, something like "Classic Crisco Crust," was pretty easy to deal with. I even managed to get the fluting around the entire pie. 

Miss M., a vegan, had to make some substitutions in her recipe. Margarine for butter.

I remember calling my mom when I was learning stuff. 

1 comment:

  1. Tell her to start reading labels - even on the margarine. I did - when I melted margarine for CryBaby Cookies, and it clearly showed a separation between water and fat. I started looking at the labels and every single one of them said it had water as an ingredient. I had thought it would just be the "reduced calorie" ones, but it was true of every one I looked at. The water content _has_ to affect the results when you're talking pie crust.

    Crisco is modified vegetable oil...why doesn't she use that?

    (And when you consider water as an ingredient, margarine is as expensive as butter - and probably more expensive than Crisco)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.