Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Spending spree

The Art of Social Letter Writing: Twelve Charming Studies by Josephine Turck Baker, copyright 1909, new edition 1925, published by-- this is rich-- Correct English Publishing Company in Chicago. $1.00

The Art of Conversation: Twelve Golden Rules by Josephine Turck Baker, copyright 1907, new edition 1923, published by Correct English Publishing Company in Chicago. $1.00

Correct English in the Home by Josephine Turck Baker, copyright 1909, new edition 1924, published by Correct English Publishing Company in Chicago. $1.00

[apple c apple v does make life easier.]

Group Socials for Every Month by Jane Kirk, copyright 1957, '56, '55, '54, '53, '52, '51, '50, and '49 published by Abingdon Press in New York and Nashville. [It was the Nashville thing that tipped the scale on this one.] $1.00

And finally...

The Book of Virtues: A Treasury of Great Moral Stories edited by William J. Bennett, copyright 1993, published by Simon & Schuster with offices in New York, London, Toronto, Sydney, Tokyo, and Singapore. Paperback, so only $0.50.

Including Mississippi's 7% sales tax, I spent a whopping $5.88. 

Take that!

Please note that every single dime I spent went to support the Palmer Home and the Mississippi kids it helps. 

I'd have gladly paid the hardback price for Bennett's book. I once did. I bought a full priced brand new hardback copy and gave it to my dad, and then a bit later stole it from him, and then a bit later one of my girls stole it from me. I hate theft and thieves, but I don't get too upset about familial book thievery. If one of my kids-- and I'm still not sure who it was-- wanted to read a book about The Virtues that was edited by a Kantian... . 


Big life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.