Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tuesday before Thanksgiving

Grilled Salmon Bake

I think Mr. Big Food is at his best when he semi-improvises. We were to have a baked striped bass dish this evening. Unfortunately, this morning we unanimously concluded that the bass had seen better days. So he picked up a couple of "Product of U.S.A." frozen salmon filets at the Hog. When we got home, he scanned through The Big Food Manual, and this is what he came up with. (The recipe calls for canned salmon. I don't care for canned salmon.) He started a fire, grilled the filets, brought them inside to cool, picked the meat off the bone and proceeded with the recipe, which I will post.

Grilled Salmon Bake is good.

Creative Cooking Potatoes au Gratin
This was to accompany the baked striped bass dish. It did well next to the grilled salmon bake.

~~
Tomorrow, we roast the Sugar Pie Pumpkins in anticipation of making pie. There will be two pies. One will be traditional. One will be a pumpkin custard pie.

~~
I also need to pull the rest of the rutabagas this weekend. 

~~
Where is A. Leland?

2 comments:

  1. Do you save the seed from your sugar pumpkins before you bake them? (obviously, afterwards is pointless, unless you also enjoy pumpkin seeds as a snack.) Or save them and roast them? or pitch them?

    I picked up a book at Friends of the Library on saving seed. It's an older book - probably from the 80s - call "Seed to Seed". It has some interesting stuff.

    Also fairly "anti" hybrid, which is understandable. Still, aside from those hybrids that are sterile, you _will_ get a wide variety to choose from in the next generation. All of the squashes produce _so_ many seeds though...saving them has become a habit - growing them is something else again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you mentioned this. I save the seed for two reasons.

    First, I love roasted pumpkin seeds. I made a batch when all of The Girls were here and they lasted about 10 minutes. I'll do some more today. To me, roasted pumpkin seeds are about as essential to late Fall as is hot cocoa!

    Second, I save seeds. I grow almost all heirlooms so my seeds are true. This is nice to know when I have volunteers in the garden!I chucked a spaghetti squash that was covered with powdery mildew out into a field. I'm anxious to see if any squash come up on their own next year.

    Are you "anti" hybrid? I don't think I am "anti," mostly because if I were I'd have to stop planting early girl tomatoes and that just don't seem right!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.