Friday, June 7, 2013

Recipe: Papas con Chorizo

Mexican breakfast for supper: Potatoes & Sausage
And, okay, we used homemade andouille, not chorizo. AND I NOTE that you folks out there tracking my blog should surely have done me the courtesy of updating my spell checker by now. I mean, look. If you want this to be a two way street-- you invade my privacy & I get something back in return-- you could at least do me the courtesy of conveying to Google that the words "andouille" and "chorizo" should not have red squiggly lines under them. 

What am I paying you for?

Here's what Mr. Big Food has to say about the recipe for potatoes and sausage... .

~~

I adapted this one from a Sunset Magazine cook book on Mexican Cookery, probably published in the late 1970s. See the ways to use it for breakfasts below the recipe. For most interesting results, use your own home-made chili powders (see the Basics section). And while you’re at it, grind your own meat.

CHORIZO I


2 large garlic cloves, peeled
2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp pasilla (or any other mild) chili powder (preferably Pure—see instructions in Basics section)
6 tsp New Mexico (or other hot) chili powder (preferably Pure—see instructions in Basics section)
1 tsp dried oregano
4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp water
2 pounds boneless ground pork

In a small bowl, mash garlic and salt to make a paste. Add chili powders. Crush oregano and add to paste with vinegar and water. Add garlic mixture to pork, mixing well. Store in a freezer bag for at least twenty-four hours to blend flavors.

HUEVOS Y CHORIZO

Fry off chorizo in a pan and add scrambled eggs. (Add extra butter if needed.) Cook, stirring, until eggs are set and dry. Top with shredded cheese. Serve with toast or flour tortillas (warmed).

PAPAS Y CHORIZO

Fry off grated potatoes in oil until beginning to brown. Add chorizo and fry until sausage is done.

HUEVOS, PAPAS Y CHORIZO

Fix as for Papas y Chorizo. When nearly done, form pockets in the potato-sausage mixture. Crack eggs into pockets, cover, and continue cooking until eggs are firm throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.