Sunday, September 15, 2013

It's "As"

At Drudge just now (9:33 central)

1. Should be: 
I don't think he has the same values as we have.
Good Lord! This is 5th grade stuff. Let's walk it back and think it through. 

"That" can be used in the restrictive sense-- defining, incorrectly in this case, "values." (Ranting about grammar can be fun!)

(E.g., if I said, "The dog that needs a bath is asleep on the couch," we all know I'm talking about Missy, as opposed to Rocky.)

The sentence is comparative-- comparing his values to ours. It is a mistake to use "that" as a comparative conjunction. 

Also, one does not "do values." One has values. So we may ask, "As we do what?" Do have?

2. Who is this "we" of whom you speak? We-- as in you & I? No, sir. Do drag me into this. We-- as in your & I-- have very little in common with respect to our value systems. And to flip the coin, do not claim to be among those who share my values.

Oh. Sorry. My bad. It's the royal "we." Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.