Thursday, April 3, 2014

I have an Idea!

Here's the situation. I had planned to have the best garden I've had yet here at the Farm. You've seen the photos of the heirloom tomatoes and tobacco. You may recall I ordered seeds in January when the pipes were freezing and the dryer gave out. (Or was that February?) I had invested in a twice the normal size heat mat and I started seeds like crazy. Although I had a whole flat full of failure, I think we are bound for success, barring a tornado. And even then, it wouldn't surprise me if we'd quickly put on our thinking caps and manage to salvage the tomatoes and peppers and eggplant and celery & such.

I've been planting like crazy and A. Leland has been doing some tilling. Oh. By the way. That little baby Cub Cadet FT26R or whatever tiller has an interesting little twist. You apportion energy to the forward or rear tine function as you see fit. I had to download the owner's manual from the Internet. 

Anyway-- I was ready for a productive break this afternoon and I convinced myself that I should assess the situation. And so I retrieved all of the plastic boxes from my refrigerator* and made a list:



This is what needs to be planted within the next 4-6 weeks. Some of it should have been planted 4-6 weeks ago. We will see how that works out.

I also took a blue marker and made a mark on the seeds I'd already planted. That was inspiring.

Here's the situation. We have the space. There's time. What I need is for A. Leland to offer to take over the squash/melon/bean/corn garden that he just tilled up. And I wonder if Miss M would pay special attention to the herb and lettuce gardens? Not asking you to do anything, just let me know

Good Lord. I just remembered the sweet potato slips. They get planted in the carrot beds. Oh Lord. And the carrots have just come up and the slips will arrive in a few weeks!

Question: Can you grow sweet potatoes in Canada? 

I also have a list of things I'd like Daughter C to help me with before she moves to LA. I don't think that's unreasonable, do you? There is one item on her list. The little hallway. I'll bankroll it (within reason). I have a little stack of paint chips, photos, and such. She knows me. She's lived here. She knows what it should look like. 

*I've not mentioned this before on account of Mr. Low-Man, but I have my own fridge. I share it. But it's mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.