Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Fall/Winter Soup Contest is almost finished

and we have a new possible leader.

Sportman's Lodge Lentil Soup
This soup was renamed to something more appropriate, given the soup. It's original name was "California Lentil Soup." The new name captures the essence of the soup. Plus, it's a joke.

What I need to do is describe this soup. And then, given the conversation Mr. Big Food, C, and I had while we were enjoying the soup, go back and read about the other soups. 
~~
I love lentils. If I had to eat them every day, I wouldn't love them. But since I don't, I do.

From nutrientfacts.com . Take a look at it. There's 1C of lentils in the 1/2  soup recipe. We'll get six servings from the 1/2 recipe. So divide the %'s by 6 and one serving is still packed with some good stuff.
The hot dogs were put in at the last minute. The bacon was put in at the beginning. I'll post the recipe tomorrow, but I'll tell you now that one thing that made this soup really really good was substituting veggie stock for water. 

It was rich-- in a non-fat way, filling and flavorful.

Comparisons to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.