Thursday, June 14, 2012

Do you think this will work?

Just ignore those cabbage and squash
This is the late bean/corn garden. I already have corn planted but you just can never have too much corn. Last year was the first year I'd ever grown corn. What a learning experience! Unfortunately, when I planted corn this year I'd forgotten what I'd learned. Birds pick planted corn seed out of the corn row and presumably eat it. This is a problem. Replanting a week or more after the first planting means some plants will be a week or more younger when the older plants begin to tassel. It doesn't matter with insect pollinated plants but it does with wind pollinated corn.

Anyway... I was certain I had bird netting in the workshop, and I did-- just not enough. So I covered each little planted corn seed with a clay pot which I'll remove just as soon as I see a little corn plant peep through the soil.

The periphery is beans, by the way. 

I'll report problems with this scheme if there are any. (Right. If. Who am I kidding?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.