Friday, June 22, 2012

Viking: "All me shiny things about me"

That's a quote-- or more likely a paraphrase-- from the movie, The Quiet Man. The character, Mary Kate, wants her shiny things. Who could blame her? She wants what she wants.

Just so a woman wanted a restaurant quality range in her new home in Greenwood, Mississippi. "No such range existed," so home builder Fred Carl designed one. ... Viking Range! (Story from Off the Beaten Path Mississippi.)

How much is that range in the window?


It's definitely for sale.
The entrance
Inside the shop,

across the street from the Alluvial Hotel,

there is a LOT of shiny stuff.
A classroom at the Viking Cooking School

Another



Here's the interesting thing, to me. Not four blocks from the Viking Cooking School and the Alluvial Hotel is one of the most run down impoverished neighborhoods I've seen in a long time. Not many shiny things in those shotgun shacks, I'll bet.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't know there was a Viking cooking school. Viking stuff is really good - and really expensive. A friend of mine had a Viking freestanding stove (with two ovens, if I recall correctly) I would have _loved_ to have had in my cooking for a family of 7 days...she told me it cost about $6000. These days it would be a total waste of money - but if I ever win the lottery...maybe I'll put it on the list. Near the top...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed there is-- but you have to come to Mississippi to attend!

      Mr. Big Food's Uncle had/has one. (Can't remember if they have one in their new house. Do know they had one in the old.) Truly awesome. I wouldn't mind having one, either! They are so shiny. :-)

      Delete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.