Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Our Voting Experience in a Word

Civil.

There are three doors into our Courthouse-- and thus three parking areas. All were full so we parked across the street. 

There must have been almost two dozen cars at about 10:30!
A well dressed older black gentleman greeted us as we walked up the steps. He asked if we were there to vote and we answered, "Yes," and we exchanged, "Have a nice day."

Given the number of cars, we expected a line inside but there was none. There were also no UN monitors or Black Panthers. Our neighbor-- who finds names on the voter registration list-- welcomed us by saying, "There are my neighbors!" A old man asked me to wait for my neighbor to find my name before I signed in so that I'd sign in exactly as I was registered. And then the other lady gave me my little computer access card.

I was voter #109, Mr. Big Food, 110. There are three machines at our polling place. One was occupied by voter #108. As we voted-- and checked our votes for accuracy-- our neighbor and Mr. Big Food continued to chat. She told him business had been steady. There are just over 400 citizens registered to vote in our precinct, so one-quarter of them had voted in the first three and one-half hours. 

We hung around for a minute or two and chatted with our neighbor about our gardens as voter #111 signed in.

And then we went home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.