Thursday, April 19, 2012

'Highway 55N between 4 & 5:45am is not any fun' and other thoughts

It's not quite light by 5:45am, but the frequency of exits with tall street lights is increasing. And it is getting lighter.

The early part was the worst. I lost count of the number of cars who were not smart enough to keep themselves between the lines.  And it's a 4-lane road.

~~
Just FYI: Mr. Big Food has arrived safely at his top secret destination. I'm not kidding about this. I know where he is and I know what he's doing there. I searched for detail. I couldn't find anything. And then he told me that these sorts of things are not publicized all that much. I thought that was funny because I'm pretty sure you paid for Mr. Big Food's limo ride from the airport to the top secret destination.

~~
I choose to go the long 4-lane way to MEM rather than the shorter state highway way to MEM. It was dark--there's more time and space to react to something stupid on the 4-lanes. I did get into the wrong lane as I was leaving MEM and found myself headed to Memphis. I recovered. I took the really back road way home, through Mississippi. Mr. Big Food will be introducing Mississippi to some folks.

~~
The dogs were fine. They did enjoy their runs in the pasture after I got home a little after 9am. I was glad the chairs were dry. There was one thing of note-- so noteworthy that I told Mr. Big Food when he called to describe his top secret location.

One of Bo's cats is dead and the black vultures found it just before Missy and I went for a walk.

Missy is such a Bird Dog!





We share a very short property line with Bo. Bo has a couple of kids-- I think I posted a photo of two of them sliding off the roof of their shed when it snowed a while back-- and a bunch of cats. I do not mind the cats. I don't really keep track of the individuals other than that black one who reminds me of Lemore, but there has been a succession of explorative cats that have patrolled our yard.  I imagine that they are doing their part to keep the rodent and small amphibian populations in check.

Anyway, as soon as we-- Missy & I-- saw the buzzards in the corner of Bo's yard, we knew something was wrong. Buzzards are such nasty creatures but they do serve a purpose. Just as God and the Evolutionary Biologists intended them to do.

Missy couldn't get enough of them. I counted 18-- but I think there was some recruitment going on. There were not 18 when we first saw them. You can ask Missy.

~~
It's dusk and the nighttime birds are becoming active. I know this because I just spent a few minutes outside. This is something Mr Big Food and I know from experience, and that he will try to communicate to some folks. It is really nice here.

~~
Don't get me wrong. It's not like I want them to move down here, it's just that I want them to find another target: WV. Mountain Mama.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.