Sunday, April 8, 2012

Recipes: Easter Dinner

We are more stuffed than a Christmas goose, but I think we can manage to share the recipes for Easter Dinner.
From top to bottom: Mashed Potatoes, Baked Asparagus, Baked Ham I, Orange Pound Cake.

1. Mashed Potatoes. Recipe: If you don't know how to make mashed potatoes, you need to learn.

2. Baked Asparagus. 

Recipe:

1 large can green asparagus, drained
4 oz. (1 C) yellow cheese, shredded
1 C bread crumbs
Salt & pepper to taste
1 can mushroom soup (not cream of)
Small can French fried onions

Preheat oven to 300*. Place half asparagus in bottom of baking dish. Layer with half the cheese, and half the bread crumbs. Salt & pepper to taste. Repeat. Top with soup, sprinkle with French fried onions. Bake 30 minutes.

3. Baked Ham I. Recipe:


Small ham, 4-7 lbs.
Brown sugar
Water for bottom of roaster
Small can crushed pineapple

Preheat oven to 300*. Cover ham with brown sugar and pat in. Place ham on rack in roaster or broiling pan. Add enough water to cover bottom of roaster or pan. Bake ham 25 mins./lb. Cover with crushed pineapple during the last 30 minutes of baking time, or after ham has finished baking.

4. Orange Pound Cake. Recipe:

3 sticks butter softened (1.5 C)
3 C sugar
5 large eggs
3.5 C four
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 C + 2 Tbsp milk
1/4 C freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
2 Tbsp grated orange rind

Preheat oven to 325*. Cream butter on medium speed, add sugar gradually, and continue creaming until light an fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Sift together flour, cream of tartar and baking powder, and add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk and orange juice, beginning and ending with dry ingredients and beating mixture just until blended after each addition. Fold in vanilla, almond extract and grated orange rind. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 10" tube pan. Bake 1 hr. 25-30 mins. or until completely done in center.

Remove from oven, let cool 10 mins. Remove from pan to rack and cool completely.
~~

So if you've been following along, you will know that the cake was made early in the day. The ham went into the oven for a while and when it came out the asparagus went in and that's when I boiled the potatoes. When they were mashed, I put the pot of mashed potatoes on the back of the stove because the oven was still on. 

Turned out well.

~~

One final note. We enjoyed the cake with a cognac. Perfect. 


2 comments:

  1. Is that a Revereware pot I spy, filled with mashed potatoes?

    I like Revereware. I still use my Mom's. I still remember when my Dad gave it to her....somewhere in the 1950 period or so. She loved it and cursed it as she polished the bottoms _every_ time she used it. I confess that I don't. Polish the bottoms.

    My DIL lost hers in a move - the moving van burned up. I tried to buy her some to replace hers, and soon found that you have to buy _old_ stuff - the new stuff is all made in Indonesia and simply isn't the same quality. It isn't made by Revere any more. Revere was bought by Corning in the early 1990s, and then the Corningware line - which included the Revereware line - was sold to American Kitchen Supplies or some such company. They make OXO stuff as well, and are now the dominant kitchenware company.

    So...if you want to do something nice for some young thing just starting out, buy old stuff. "Vintage" is what they call it these days. Check the bottom for the "Made in the USA". Actually, usually made in Clinton Indiana (Illinois? Ohio?) or one or two other US locations. The funny thing is that my local Good Will used to have a fairly steady supply - I could pick up about one a month. I haven't seen one in nearly a year - something changed, but I don't know what. Ebay is good but the shipping will kill you! well, your budget, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed!

    And you're right-- nothing is as good as it used to be. I just got back from a friend's home and he showed me a Le Creuset pan that has a ding in the bottom of it. He said the coating just popped off. For the money, I wouldn't expect things to just pop off!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.