Tuesday, April 3, 2012

UPDATED: Safety through the ages

This is the second post following up on my thoughts on Farm Safety and Government Intrusion. Briefly, in that and the first follow-up, I discussed the Department of Labor's efforts to make it illegal for a kid to do farm work. Senator Thune and others have proposed the Preserving America’s Family Farm Act to counter these absurd rules. From the press release at Thune's web site:
The language of the proposed rule is so specific it would even ban youth from operating a battery powered screwdriver or a pressurized garden hose. 
I thought it might be fun to look at some of my crappy old books and see what they had to say about screwdriver safety. (Note that some of my books pre-date "battery-power.")

Oldest to newest


[Please note that my new computer doesn't like my old printer at all. They just can't communicate. And so, I rely on my camera to "scan" pages from books.]

From Mack M. Jones' Shopwork on the Farm (1945):
Whoops! You're out of space. You are using 100% of your 1 GB quota for photos. Purchase more storage
Photos are stored in your Picasa Web Albums account and are included in your 1 GB free quota for photos. Additional storage you purchase is shared between several Google products and is in addition to your free quota. Learn more
 Good Lord. 

UPDATE: It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Only $5 for 20GB but it may take a day before it's available.

So-- there will be a 4th follow up! Stay tuned!




2 comments:

  1. I'll probably get throw in the slammer for letting Z operate the mixer :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... I've been watching a show-- and by "watching" I mean that it's on in the kitchen when I'm cleaning the kitchen-- that comes on after The Waltons. I won't say what it's name is because it's so anti-me in spirit that you wouldn't believe me if I told you. It's about a mom & a daughter who are both involved with state government / child protected services. I'm pretty sure that The Girls would have wound up in foster homes if the same rules were in force when they were growing up.

    I mean, it is cruel to make kids do laps around the house before supper to burn off energy, isn't it?

    I won't report you for Z & the mixer.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.