Saturday, August 11, 2012

As God as my witness

I will never eat a store-bought pepper as long as I live.
I get a harvest like this about once every three days or so. To give a sense of scale, I'd call the purple bell pepper on the far left "very large." In addition to the purple peppers, there are jalapenos, Neapolitan (green & red), jalapenos, true Hungarians, and gazillions* of pepperoncinis. All are heirloom. Each has a unique taste, unlike store bought which, having tasted these, have no taste at all.

With respect to my claim about never eating store-bought peppers... . The 2011-2012 season-- that is, grown in 2011, froze enough to last until 2012's harvest came in-- was the first year since the 2008-2009 season that this didn't happen. (Crop failure. We just didn't make it all the way.) Oh, sure. I'm sure I ate store-bought peppers in a restaurant salad or what have you. I'm talking about having enough peppers to eat stuffed peppers (and pickled jalapenos!) and to cook with without having to buy peppers for these purposes at the store.

Food security. 
~~

* An extremely large fictitious number. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.