Saturday, August 11, 2012

Saturday Night Supper

Sausage, sauerkraut, potatoes
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/76/76k.phtml  

Andy Kaufman doin' Elvis, "Thank you very much."

Ralph Nader making fun of Ralph Nader. Who'd have thought we'd come to characterize the Late '70's as gentler times?

Anyhoo. Back to what's important.

Creative Cooking Sausage and Sauerkraut

Creative Cooking Sausage and Sauerkraut

2 Tbsp bacon drippings
1 onion chopped
1 1 lb can sauerkraut drained and rinsed
1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
black pepper to taste
1 medium potato pared and grated
1 C home made veggie stock (or water)
1 lb + smoked sausages, any variety, cut into 2 ounce chunks
water

Melt bacon drippings in sauce pan. Add onions. Saute until tender but not brown. Stir in sauerkraut, caraway seeds, black pepper, grated potato and veggie stock. Cover. Heat 30 minutes, stirring every five minutes to keep from sticking.

Simmer sausages in water to cover for ten minutes. Turn off heat and leave in hot water.

Spread sauerkraut on serving platter. Top with sauce and serve immediately.

6 comments:

  1. Very similar to the recipe from "Joy"... just add beef broth instead of veggie stock, and add a couple of tbsps of brown sugar. We also cut up the sausages - well, actually, we usually use kielbasa _ and cook them in the sauerkraut until all is hot. I've never had a problem with it sticking, though. You can also substitute apple for the potato...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last son got married Friday. About time.

    Other sons came down for the wedding, one for the day, one for the weekend. Weekend son "helped" me with my 'puter. Moved it from the back bedroom where I had a hard line connection to the back room by the garage where theoretically I can work wirelessly. Don't want the "long blue line" down the middle of the house. So. Son number one told me it was time to upgrade my Ubuntu. Did so. Son number four installed my new powerful wireless router and we moved the 'puter. He also installed Open DNS. Due to the limited signal I was getting, I installed NOScript. We unpacked and attached a new all-in-one printer. At this point, I pretty much can't get on line. I probably need a newer better wi-fi card. I bought my 'puter on Dell auction, and it's a good one, but it doesn't have an internal card. I have a plug in. My house is long and skinny...the new wireless router uses b/g/n signals - whatever those are! my plug in uses g signal, which apparently doesn't carry as far as n signal. I have no idea why. I installed the NoScript - trying to decide whether to delete it. It's annoying, even if it's effective. I sort of don't care if an anonymous someone is tracking sites I visit. They advertise and I ignore them. Also don't know why I should need the Open DNS. If I had kids in the house, I undoubtedly would - but I don't. My new printer seems to work, then can't print a test page, saying it is out of paper - although I just loaded paper into it. The paper loads right to left, and the printed paper feeder seems to be designed to spit out the printed paper back to front. I don't understand how it can make that physical change - but I can't get to the site online to view the specs and instructions etc. I'm missing something.

    Needless to say - considering how much time I've spent with my computer this weekend, I haven't had much computer time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Sounds like the domino effect. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran the blue line down the house.

    I switched to the Microsoft program and used the disc that came with the printer. (Ubuntu simply installs it, doesn't use the disc). The disc indicated that what I thought was the print output was actually the paper input point. I'm presently assuming that the paper feeds in rolls over as it's printed upon, and then spits out the same opening it entered through. I say "assumes" because the little message thingy still says that there's no paper, and I need to load paper in. Pictures are good. Of course, I'm still not up and running yet - but maybe tomorrow...!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.