Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Something a little different


I was looking for a home for one of my crappy old overpriced book purchases (I need more shelf space) and took a walk down memory lane.
The book is a 1911 edition of the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám,  a Persian poet of the eleventh and early twelfth century, translated to English around 1858 by Edward Fitzgerald. I already have this book-- an earlier leather bound edition I picked up for $2 at a yard sale years and years ago. But it's fragile, to say the least, and although I rarely spend over $5 on a crappy old book, I thought it worth $7 to have a volume of the Rubáiyát I could thumb through from time to time.

Some years ago, I read this to Mr. Big Food:
LXXIII

Ah Love! could thou and I 
with Fate conspire
To grasp this sorry Scheme
of Things entire,
Would not we shatter it to bits
-- and then
Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's
Desire?
 He responded by comparing me to a Summer's Day.
~~

So we have Re-moulded the sorry Scheme of Things entire such that we now enjoy Mississippi Summer Days! BIG Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.