Saturday, August 4, 2012

As it turns out

there is a God. He plopped this down in front of me just when I thought I was going to lose my mind this afternoon. It's not that The French Quarter is different than it was 15 years ago-- or is it? Or that the people are different-- or are they? Or that there are more children, or it's hideously more expensive and more vulgar. What was bothering me when I stumbled upon the book store was that I couldn't even list the relevant factors for a poorly framed question. It's so chaotic that it's hard to latch onto a coherent question. 

In the past, New Orleans-- The French Quarter-- had been a place where I tested for, and found,  order.

A store with some over priced crappy old books
The food has been great. For starters tonight, we had an oyster taster platter. Followed by red beans & rice & sausage. Good stuff.

But I do not understand why parents are holding their children's hands outside a strip club on Bourbon Street at 7pm. Wait. I do understand why parents are holding kids' hands. I just don't understand what the parents and kids are doing there in the first place. 

But hey. I'm a Libertarian, not a Victorian. Do what ever the hell you want.


2 comments:

  1. I don't think you have to be Victorian to exercise common sense when it comes to children. On day trips to NOLA where I brought the children we were out of there by 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't start taking the girls until they were in their mid- to late-teens. In fact, we had told them that we *couldn't* take them because there was a sign on the way from the airport that read "NO ONE UNDER 18 ALLOWED in the French Quarter." I'll never forget the first time in with them. They asked where the sign was because they hadn't seen it! LOL.

      Delete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.