Thursday, August 29, 2013

At This Point, What Do A Hundred Or More Years Matter?

Continuing the conversation about King's speech and Civil Rights, Mr Big Food Senior. says,
My favorite analysis of the American civil rights movement says it started in 1783 when Massachusetts passed a law that banned slavery between its borders...I can’t find anything earlier than that...but...that wouldn’t be news, would it?...Love from Texas,
Well, that would be earlier than both 1963* and 1857 (Dred Scott-- this is what happens when you "compromise").

And I beg to differ, but for most of the populous, hearing that there was Life on Earth in before Facebook would be news.

Anyway-- I came across something interesting from 1883. Five cases that went before SCOTUS regarding the 14th. According to my crappy old book [1], the rulings "ended Federal attempts to protect the Negro against discrimination by private individuals." I want to read more. 


I want to understand how this relates to the Second Amendment. 

Here's what I mean. If it is now no longer permissible for private individuals to discriminate based on the 14th, why is it permissible for them to discriminate based on the 2nd?

How does "No Blacks" differ from "No Armed?"

See. This is what happens when you allow commoners-- and women at that!-- to learn to read. 


* In an email to MBF Sr., I'd mocked a Fox News Reporter who said the Civil Rights Movement began in 1963.
~~

Refs
[1] Encyclopedia of American History Updated and Revised. Richard B. Morris, ed. Harper & Row, Publishers, New York. 1965.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.