Sunday, July 8, 2012

Recipes: American (Summer) Sunday Supper


Clockwise, from the top: Slaw. Chips. Hot Dogs. Plates & Forks. Buns.
We hardly ever do this. But it was good. Hebrew National hot dogs. Plain Lays. Wonder speaks for itself.

I made the slaw.

From a cabbage lover's point of view, it was a disappointing Spring. I sowed and replanted. The Broccoli Raab did well. And I managed to get one decent head of cabbage. (In contrast to last year, most of whose greens' harvest is still frozen... and we had so much cabbage... . From a cabbage lover's point of view, last year was a good year.) 

I turned 1/2 of this year's cabbage into slaw. 

Most of the things I cook/make I just do by guess & by golly (except for bread). People do seem to like my slaw, even Daughter C. So I'll give this a try.
ACROSS THE GARDEN SLAW

SLAW
Fresh cabbage
Fresh veggies
Seasonings/Herbs, preferably fresh

DRESSING
Mayonnaise
Sour Cream
Vinegar (various varieties)
Seasonings/Herbs, preferably fresh

Halve, quarter, core and slice cabbage. Slice course/thin according to preference Scour your garden/crisper looking for things you want to put in your slaw. Look for things that go together. Tonight's slaw had four different kinds of peppers, sliced very thin. 

Given the cabbage and veggies, what seasonings and herbs would you like to introduce to the mix?
Like listening to NPR, isn't it? 

It's slaw, for crying out loud. What really matters is the dressing. And here what matters is the vinegar. I used Apple Cider.  I've made slaws that were ladened with tarragon and in those slaws, I used white wine vinegar. 

The vinegar thins the mayo/sour cream. The goal is to lightly coat the cabbage, not smother it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.