Friday, July 6, 2012

What's the market value?

UNSHELLED blackeyed peas
I think I have more blackeyed peas than we can possibly eat in one year. (40'? What was I thinking?

I wonder what they are valued at on the open market, shelled? Certainly not what they'd be worth if you factored in my time. 

Which reminds me of something I came across the other day... . 

Fewer workers cross border, creating U.S. farm labor shortage

Maureen Torrey sits on a tractor at the Torrey Farms in Elba, New York. She has changed crops due to increasing shortages of skilled field laborers because of immigration reform and other factors... .
And other factors?? Like it's too hot to work outside in the heat all day. Really. That's what is says in the article. 

Look. I've been to Elba. It ain't that hot. And how much "skill" does it take to pick peas? Lazy American kids these days.

~~
From The Weather Channel. Averages and records for the last half of July in Elba, NY. Seriously? I'd be sleeping in my leggin' if I lived in Elba.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.