Sunday, July 1, 2012

Blackeyed Peas: I Did as I Was Told

Thank goodness for The National Weather Service - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - United States Department of Commerce and The Occupational Safety and Health Administration - United States Department of Labor because I never would have figured any of this out all by my self. By the way, my name is Julia.

TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS IF YOU WORK OR SPEND TIME OUTSIDE.  WHEN POSSIBLE...RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE. WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN POSSIBLE AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.

TO REDUCE RISK DURING OUTDOOR WORK THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION RECOMMENDS SCHEDULING FREQUENT REST BREAKS IN SHADED OR AIR CONDITIONED ENVIRONMENTS.
ANYONE OVERCOME BY HEAT SHOULD BE MOVED TO A COOL AND SHADED LOCATION.HEAT STROKE IS AN EMERGENCY - CALL 9 1 1.
[My emphases]

Question. Why are these HEAT ADVISORY / SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT / HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOKS written in all caps that are very difficult to read? 

Anyway-- I did as the various Federal Government Agencies and Administrations told me to because that's the kind of citizen I am-- the kind who always does as I am told-- and picked the first harvest of blackeyed peas this morning instead of waiting until this afternoon when it is a bit on the warm side. I don't want Mr. Big Food to have to CALL 9  1 1, after all. And furthermore, I shelled them in an AIR CONDITIONED  ENVIRONMENT while DRINKING PLENTY OF WATER iced coffee.*

THREE Three varieties

Picking blackeyed peas-- 
which come from flowers like these--
is a potentially dangerous activity, even in the morning.


Especially in the morning when the various varieties of wasps are buzzing around like flies.

* I lied. That's not the kind of citizen I am. I choose iced coffee instead of water because THAT'S WHAT I WANTED.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.