Monday, January 30, 2012

The Best Fall/Winter Soup (in the Contest)

I believe this is Entrant #7 in our Fall/Winter Soup Contest. I think both Mr. Big Food and I enjoyed our brief discussion of a couple of others, especially the Slow Cooker Potato Cheese Soup with Wieners soup that I'd had as the winner up until this evening. But in the short run, it was unanimous. The winner-- so far-- in the Fall/Winter Soup Contest is...



Sausage Sauerkraut Soup in a Slow Cooker!
I am going to see if I can sit here and write about this soup without mentioning The Dogs other than to say that as I was typing "without mentioning The Dogs," my little internal chitchat said, "Ah, here comes Rocky!"

The thing about the soup is its layers. 

[Rocky was so good tonight,

I gave him a bite of my sweet potato biscuit, and a nibble of the sausage in my soup. Missy didn't get any of these tidbits because Missy hasn't learned how to mind her manners.]

There are a lot of things in this soup.  Turkey sausage, potatoes, onions-- I think, mushrooms, carrots, some turkey stock. Sauerkraut. Dill. They are layered in a particular order. The recipe, Mr. Big Food tells me, says just that: Layer them this way. I can see why. 

Unlike a stew, which is all mixed up and therefore uniform, this dish is stratified. So when you, as Mr. Big Food often says, "Dig from the bottom," and you are presented with the proper tool to do just that, you will have yourself a bowl of the Soup Contest winner!

Look at all that stuff!
It was delicious! And it was fun! There was no tellin' what the next bite might be. (Actually, there is tellin' but I'm not.)

[Rocky is trying so hard to be a good dog.]






No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.