Saturday, January 14, 2012

I've known for quite some time

that NFL football was really really bad. I've also come to know-- especially after Mr. Big Food explained to me one morning over coffee on the Gulf Coast how the Bowl Conference Series Thingy works (what with the computer models and all, and me asking some questions... ), and beginning to understand what's motivating conference restructuring (Missouri. SEC. Are you freaking kidding me?)-- that college football is not so far behind the NFL.

[I do not know how to diagram ellipses.]

We watched Semi-Tough last evening.

Semi-Tough (1977)

R  108 min  -  Comedy   -  June 1978 (Austria)
5.8
Your rating:
    -/10  
Ratings: 5.8/10 from 1,142 users  
Reviews: 20 user | 3 critic


A three-way friendship between two free-spirited professional football players and the owner's daughter becomes compromised when two of them become romantically involved.

The description does not do the movie justice. ∆ Power.

We have another Dan Jenkins movie sitting on the shelf, ready to watch. The take home line from the Dan Jenkins' stuff that Mr. Big Food & I read aloud early on in our relationship as we were driving all over the place is [paraphrasing (so as not to get in trouble)]:
How can the NFL take a great college running back and teach him how to fumble and slip down?  How can the NFL take a great college wide-receiver and teach him how to drop key passes?
 ~~
A while back, we spent a night in a hotel in Meridian on our way to the Gulf.

[The score in this game I am not watching is 35-7.]

We settled in. It was Petal vs. Olive Branch for the state championship. I do not think I have ever watched a better football game. In the end, Petal was robbed of the Championship by the worst call I've ever seen, although I don't know high school rules. It didn't need to end that way. Petal made some mistakes that made it, in the end, a close game. Mistakes do not excuse robbery. 

That there was no public uproar over this robbery leads me to suspect that the public does not care that high school football is becoming more and more like college fb.  

~~

My uninformed understanding of Sports is that the rules are The Rules. 

Clearly, I am mistaken.   

Football hit ground, bounce into good "receiver's" arms. Completed Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.