Sunday, January 1, 2012

Eli and Tony were beginning to "duke it out" (yeah, right)

while we were eating crazy good Diner chicken pot pie for supper--

the last supper we'll serve on Christmas dishes until Christmas season, 2012 (Good Lord willing & the creek don't rise).

It's baked in a 9"x13" pan with only a top crust

of flour, butter, cheese & ice water.

It was delicious. The recipe comes from what we call "The Diner Cookbook," more formally cited as The Best of Casual American Cooking DINER by Diane Rossen Worthington; A Sunset Book; 1995 (The full citation is more than I want to do right now.)

Here you are. It's available in hardback for $3.99. 

[Unlike bloggers with huge followings, I write and post for pleasure only. I can count on fewer than 10 fingers the number of folks who read what I write. If I wanted to write for money, I would try to write for money. I link to Amazon, where you can find this not so old cookbook, because I want my posts to be complete. Mr. Big Food got the recipe for this crazy good Diner chicken pot pie from a book that's still in print. The book has a lot of good recipes. Here's where you can get the book. 

A lot of folks-- including folks who have successful blogs and are inclined toward Mises-style-thinking (I'm looking at Glenn Reynolds) want you to believe that if you access Amazon via their sites, and then buy something at Amazon, the commission they get, which they thank you for, will cost you nothing. How can that be?  I know I've gotten stupider since I moved to Mississippi, but really? That just don't make no sense.]

4 comments:

  1. Sunset is a magazine founded as a freebie publication on the Sunsetter passenger train in the early 1900s. The Sunsetter regularly traversed between Washington State and Texas, I believe. It became very popular - popular to become a subscription magazine. It is available only in the western states, although they will send out gift subscriptions to other states.

    I subscribed for years, and my cut-out files reflect that fact. Their contents were practical and informative, although frequently from a viewpoint that was not common. In the last 10 years or so, they have become very avant garde, featuring very short garden articles, very small cooking sections, off beat and hard to find (and expensive) food items, and have become more and more oriented to home design and architecture.

    I must confess, I'm not into home design, and you don't usually build your house more than once, so if you mess up, you're stuck - articles about how you messed up aren't worth much.

    I don't subscribe any more. On the other hand, our local "Friends of the Library" frequently have issues of various specialty publications that Sunset has put out - and if I see them, I snap them up. I've never seen this one before - and I don't see the Sunset logo on it, so I might have missed it - but I'll definitely be on the look out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the Sunset magazine but hadn't made the connections. Mom used to get batches of them from the old magazine pile at various libraries. Sounds like they have a lot of good stuff-- old ones, that is. I'll be on the look out for them at junk stores. You can never have too much crappy old stuff!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That just don't make no sense."

    Actually, it does. You pay the same, whether you buy it direct or through someone. Amazon pays a commission - which in this case is the same as paying them for advertising.

    If our business buys from supplier X, we get a discount. We normally buy at 80% or so of what the published price is. I can do this on line as well...I can contact an online company, tell them I'm a wholesaler/distributor (which we are), send them our sales license info, and they give me a discount on product I buy from them, which I can then sell at the same price they're asking, and I get a percentage profit. The customer pays the same either way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to get back to you on this. I think there's a flaw in your thinking. But I have to think about it some more.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.