Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Do it Yourself *IF* You Can

Made in USA. No, really!
Out here in rural Mississippi we Rednecks mostly do most things for ourselves. We replace batteries and change the oil in our equipment. We saw down trees for own firewood. We do our own laundry. A lot of us grow as much of our own produce as we can. And we unclog our own drains. 

This is not to say that we don't ask for help when we need it. Jody at the hardware store in town was very helpful. I had a pretty good idea how this contraption worked because I had consulted the World Wide Web before going to town. But it was nice to have him show me. I suppose I could have watched a video online, but that assumes I have access to a video.

Let us imagine that the World Wide Web went black-- maybe the electricity went out or maybe someone much smarter than I who works for Uncle Sam just felt like pulling the plug on YouTube so I couldn't watch a how-to video.

Please note: in less than 13 hours the English Wikipedia will be blacked out globally to protest SOPA and PIPA.

Then what would I do? I would consult Popular Science Do-It-Yourself Encyclopedia (1956), Volume 3, page 723, "Coil Spring-Steel Auger." What would you do?

Information redundancy is a good thing.

[Information on SOPA (House) and PIPA (Senate) is available all over the World Wide Web. Read all about it while you still can!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.