Friday, January 13, 2012

D'Vorack

When I was a teenager, I studied and pretended to play the cello.  The cello is a beautiful instrument. As I recall, cello music is written in a key that violinists and flute players do not read.

I had the good fortune of being Cello #9 of nine-- or something like that-- in a Small Town, with a Lutheran College, Symphony Orchestra that did D'Vorack's New World Symphony one season. A few of my fellow high-schoolians also had chairs in the orchestra. (One year we did Carmen.)

I learned how to keep up in the 2nd Movement. 


The Conductor (it's been so long, is this the correct term?) and his wife, Violin #1, were Russians. They had played at the white house in Washington, D.C. This was important. It's why I, as a teenager, sat in an orchestra and pretended to play a cello when the orchestra was doing Carmen. It's also why I can hear the second movement to the New World Symphony in my head.

~~

I admit it. When we first started going to SEC games and saw the fly-overs, and saw people actually stop what they were doing and sing our national anthem, I went coverup mode. How to dry my eyes without looking that I'm drying my eyes? A few games and I gave up. I'm a sap.

~~
It was the 2nd Movement that got me. It's moving. I was probably pre-inclined. The cello plays such a big part in the 2nd Movement.

If it's been a while, give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.