Monday, October 28, 2013

Coincidence? Fate? Destiny? Divine Intervention?

Or none of the above?

Thomas Babington Macaulay
I only took one crappy old book with me on our Texas adventure, my little book of books, The Guide to Reading: The Pocket University Volume XXIII (Lyman Abbott, Asa Don Dickinson et al., eds., Nelson Doubleday, Inc., Garden City, New York, 1925). This is the little book that suggests daily 15-30 minute readings. Macaulay is featured in both the readings and the two lengthy introductions. Prior to October 26, 2013, I'd come across Macaulay's name while reading up on British history, so I knew him to be a historian, but I did not have any of his works.

And then... on October 26, 2013, I stumbled upon the crappy old volume pictured above in the antique store in Slaton, Texas!

Relaxing, back at our room, Mr. Big Food asked about the book I'd purchased. Then, seeing that I was reading my little book of books, he ask what the readings for the day were. I turned to "October 22nd to 28th" and something on the page caught my attention.

OMG!! 

Thomas Babington Macaulay was born October 25, 1800!! Just yesterday!!

What are the odds of my finding a volume of Macaulay's The History of England the day after his birthday?

About 1 in 365, I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.