Monday, October 7, 2013

My Opinion of You, Sir, Has Changed

Last January a fellow named Jonathan Jarvis gave a public address at State. We went. Here's what I had to say about the talk and Jarvis.
"National Parks and American Values: A Field Guide"
The National Park Service is nearing its centennial! Look forward between now and 2016 to a massive advertising campaign targeting young Americans-- seems the kids from the cities just aren't going to our National Parks in droves as they once did. If that trend continues, it would spell disaster for Retailers of Gear. Remember the ads with the talking baby giving investment advise? That's from the same Madison Avenue Advertising Firm that the National Parks Service contracted to get those kids to our parks and learn a little American History and perk up sales at R.E.I.* 
~~
I don't think that was supposed to be the take-away message from Director Jonathan Jarvis' public talk at State this evening, but that's some of what I heard.  
It was a well-attended presentation. And in all seriousness, it did focus on American Values. One small quibble-- I don't think the sense of "happiness" in the good Ol' Declaration had as much to do with "fun" as Jarvis does. But he got Freedom & Liberty right! And he loves him some history! 
The discussion was good. He struck me as extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of his agency, which is, you know, something a good executive officer should be. I suspect he comes by it naturally, having climbed the Ranger ladder.  And he with only a lowly Bachelors Degree. (To be fair, he has an "honorary" Ph.D. from his alma mater.) 
My Libertarian Brain is still thinking about what I think about a National Parks Service.
More here.

How could I have been so gullible as to have assumed the Director of the National Parks Service was a director rather than just another political hack sheeple doing as he's commanded? Shame on me.

This spectacle has turned from disgraceful to frightening.  

And now... off to the book sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.