Friday, October 18, 2013

Depression: Not the 'Psychological' State or the Economic

I'm talking about gravy.
I've mentioned Depression Gravy before. I learned how to make this from my mother, who I think learned how to make it from my paternal grandmother, who did in fact, survive the Great Depression.

First, 


fry up some pork chops in fat.
These were dipped in egg and then breadcrumbs, and seasoned. (Recipe to follow.) You then drain off all but about 2 Tbsp fat, making sure to keep the pork chop coating leftovers in the pan.

Turn the fire up to heat up the fat, then turn down to low, and gradually add about 2-3 Tbsp flour, stirring briskly, as you would to make a roux. When the flour has absorbed all of the fat and appears as fat little brown pellets, pull the pan from the fire and briskly stir in a few tablespoons of milk. 

(I would say "whisk" but I'm doing this in our good pan and we don't allow metal utensils to touch our good pan.) 

Gradually add a bit more milk by the approximate tablespoon-- with the hot pan still off the flame. When the mixture achieves a pasty consistency, return the pan to a low flame, let the mixture heat up for 15 seconds or so, and gradually add more milk, stirring constantly.

When the gravy has reached the desired consistency, pull the pan from the flame and keep stirring for a few seconds.

The flour to milk to time ratio is critical. And I am sorry that I cannot provide you with the measurements of any. As my mother taught me, it is not in my head, it is in my hand.

Cover chops, boiled potatoes, and

a delicious (veganized) turnip dish
with Depression Gravy and you'll be satisfied. I know I am!
~~

A.Leland and I were talking about cookbooks this evening. We wondered when the first cookbooks came to be. I do not know the answer to this question. Surely, someone does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Nothing inappropriate, please.